Someone asked me, “Which is my favorite part of my body?”
I replied, “My eyes are my favorite part of me.”
Don’t you all agree with me?
Eyes are favorite part of majority of us, not for how they look, but for how they see.
Therefore it’s our responsibility to take care of our eyes. They show us our world and show other how we are feeling. Our eyes speak everything what our lips don’t.
There are many people in the world who are suffering from various eye problems for which they consult the doctor and also undergo various surgeries. One such major problem is that of cataract.
So your cataract was matured and your doctor has advised for cataract surgery.
The doctor has played his role in treating our eyes. Now it’s our turn to take care of our eyes.
Although most people can resume everyday activities 24 hours after cataract surgery, there are a few instructions that you will be asked to follow .
Here I suggest certain dos and don’ts that you can follow for a speedy recovery after the cataract surgery.
First and the foremost after the surgery it’s important to take rest.
Try to avoid crowded and dust places.
You may watch TV.
You can also do reading.
You must be careful while walking so that we don’t bump into the door and other objects.
You must clean our eyes with the sterile saline wash and cotton balls.
You must use the medications and eye drops as prescribed by the doctor.
avoid swimming for 4 to 6 weeks.
You can continue with your usual diet.
You must wear your eye shield when sleeping.
You should avoid driving after the surgery till you are sure that your vision is clear.
You must not exhaust yourself by doing strenuous activities.
Do not lift heavy things.
Avoid swimming to reduce the risk of infection.
Don’t sneeze or vomit soon after the surgery.
Avoid putting extra pressure on your eye.
Avoid going out in dust and wind during the first few weeks after surgery.
Don’t rub your eyes.
Smoking and alcoholic beverages should be avoided.
Don’t allow soap or shampoo to get into your eye
Don’t wear eye make-up for at least 4 weeks
Avoid falling over or hurting your head or eye.
General instructions for instilling medicines in the eye
• First you should wash your hands with soap and water.
• The cap of the eyedropper bottle is opened carefully without contaminating the tip of the nozzle
• Pull the lower lid and place the drop between the eyeball and the lid by squeezing the bottle.
• close your eye and wipe away any excess liquid.
• The eyes should be kept closed for a period of 5 minutes after the drop is instilled.
• Atleast Leave a gap of 5 minutes between two medications
• If similar medication is advised for both eyes, it is advisable to have a separate bottle for the two eyes.
• don’t let anyone else use your eye drops .
How to clean your eye
• boil some water and allow it to cool
• wash your hands
• dip cotton wool or clean gauze in the cool boiled water
• gently wipe from the inside (near your nose) to the outside corner of your eye
• don’t wipe inside your eye
• don’t wash your eye out with water
• don’t press on your eye.
When to call up a doctor?
When the eyesight is getting worse.
When there is increasing pain and ache in the eye.
When the redness is increasing in the eye.
When there is swelling around the eye.
When there is any discharge from the eye.
When you notice any change in the field of vision.
When there is sudden onset of floaters or flashes of light.
So it’s my heartfelt wish that each one of you live a very healthy life.
Please take care of yourself especially your eyes as eyes not only enable us to see the world around but also help others listen to what our lips can’t speak.
“When you have a vision that is strong enough and powerful enough, nothing can stand in your way.”